Fairfield County Hounds is the oldest surviving live foxhunt in the state of Connecticut. Established in Westport, Connecticut by two local businessmen, Donald Perkins and Carlton Palmer, in 1924, Fairfield was recognized by the Master of Foxhounds Association (MFHA) in 1926. Fairfield operated under the auspices of the Fairfield Hunt Club in Westport, hunting the sleepy rural farmland of southern Connecticut in the Fairfield/Westport area.
As Westport and the surrounding areas yielded to development pressure, Fairfield’s members began hunting the northern part of the county in the 1940s. In 1965, Fairfield reorganized as a separate entity from the Fairfield County Hunt Club and relocated the kennels in Newtown. As the large tracts of open land dwindled in that area, Fairfield purchased and renovated an old dairy farm further north in Bridgewater, Connecticut in 1986. The kennels were moved in 1987, and Fairfield celebrated Opening Day 1987 in its new location in the rolling hills west of the Shepaug River.